Bagsy 'Sabotage'.
Re: new songs on you tube
Posted by: mslucifer
Date: December 18, 2011 11:36AM
Posted by: T-B-O-T-S
Date: December 18, 2011 11:45AM
Thanks!

'Cold War' first off... sounds OK. In the verses it almost sounds like an old pre debut album song along the lines of 'Natural Born Servant' or something. Very "indie" and jangly.

A bit more grim is 'Future Nightmare' which has a repeat of the phrase 'cannibal woman' which just makes me think of 'I eat Cannibals' by Toto Coelo. Perhaps not a keeper.

'Falling Planes' is a bit better. The verses are good with a chorus that recalls something like 'Apollo 13' or something.
Date: December 18, 2011 11:48AM
So far, I'd say 2 out of the 7 are definite keepers and that the others show promising parts but need a bit more work. I've warmed to 'The Only' a bit, can only say that 'Future Nightmare' and probably 'Someone Better' are not floating my boat at all.
Posted by: starstruck
Date: December 18, 2011 11:53AM
"you are a c*nt of a woman, you are my future nightmare"??????
That my just be the speakers on my phone tho...

* alone but not lonely *
seaScape-x- can be found at [www.facebook.com]
and
[www.reverbnation.com]
www.myspace.com/dayfifteen
Date: December 18, 2011 12:19PM
:)
Date: December 18, 2011 12:20PM
Ha!

I think it is "you are a cannibal woman"... it is a bit of a howler in my view, not the best at all. Still, at least there is 'Sabotage' to make up for that! With the exception of 'I don't Know Why' I think they should do more slow burning things. These up tempo ones are largely not that successful, in my view. But hey, it is early days.
Posted by: spank
Date: December 18, 2011 12:41PM
Painfully underwhelmed by all those songs. Feels about as relevant as a new Simple Minds album...

marcellipop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Falling planes:
> [www.youtube.com]
> sLsUpzYZiloV8b7R1IGS0Q&index=8&feature=plpp_video
>
> The Only + Someone better:
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related
>
> I dont know why:
> [www.youtube.com]
> sLsUpzYZiloV8b7R1IGS0Q&index=5&feature=plpp_video
> I dont know why (other shot)
>
> Sabotage:
> [www.youtube.com]
> sLsUpzYZiloV8b7R1IGS0Q&index=15&feature=plpp_video
>
>
> The only: (other shot)
> [www.youtube.com]
> =mfu_in_order&list=UL
>
>
>
> THE ONLY
> SOMEONE BETTER
> I DON'T KNOW WHY
> FALLING PLANES
> FUTURE NIGHTMARE
> COLD WAR
> SABOTAGE

Date: December 18, 2011 12:53PM
I think as a whole the new batch have more weak stuff than strong, but then they are testing them out. Judging them is fine, but a slight accounting for them being 'work in progress' should also be maintained. If they were streaming finished audio recordings then fine, but the guy is singing with a bit of paper in his hand, possibly doing some ad libbing as well. Sometimes it works out well ('Sabotage', 'I Don't Know Why'), sometimes it doesn't. It is also fucking never going to sound as tight as a song from 1993 which they've played thousands of times.
Posted by: imcentrifugal
Date: December 18, 2011 12:54PM
T-B-O-T-S Wrote:
> But hey, it is early days.

If it was "early days" in regards to writing new songs - they wouldn't be previewing at least 7 of them at 2 shows in Russia in the full knowledge they'd end up getting uplaoded on YoUTube for all to hear.
Date: December 18, 2011 01:03PM
You aren't honestly suggesting that you think these have all been recorded? I very much doubt it. Think about the time that Suede have actually had to write stuff, in between touring and Brett promoting Black Rainbows and doing his own solo gigs. I'd say at best a couple of months.

Richard has also been working with Artmagic, so yes, I'd say it was early days indeed. Part of the songs development is testing out how they work with a live audience. I very much doubt all 7 or these would ever go as far as the recording stage.

If they end up doing some new songs tonight there will be plenty more to slag off tomorrow! Also, bare in mind that they are totally prepared to *not* record a new album if they can't come up with a set of songs that they consider strong enough, so I'd say the large number they are playing is to sort the good from the bad quite quickly.
Posted by: Yo Blair!
Date: December 18, 2011 01:46PM
starstruck Wrote:
> "you are a c*nt of a woman, you are my future
> nightmare"??????
> That my just be the speakers on my phone tho...

you're listening to phone-recorded audio, through your own fucking phone?

you have no right whatsoever to judge.

"Is it in yet?"... "In? I finished half hour ago..."
Date: December 18, 2011 01:49PM
Date: December 18, 2011 02:11PM
T-B-O-T-S Wrote:
> You aren't honestly suggesting that you think
> these have all been recorded? I very much doubt
> it. Think about the time that Suede have actually
> had to write stuff, in between touring and Brett
> promoting Black Rainbows and doing his own solo
> gigs. I'd say at best a couple of months.
>
> Richard has also been working with Artmagic, so
> yes, I'd say it was early days indeed. Part of the
> songs development is testing out how they work
> with a live audience. I very much doubt all 7 or
> these would ever go as far as the recording stage.
>
>
> If they end up doing some new songs tonight there
> will be plenty more to slag off tomorrow! Also,
> bare in mind that they are totally prepared to
> *not* record a new album if they can't come up
> with a set of songs that they consider strong
> enough, so I'd say the large number they are
> playing is to sort the good from the bad quite
> quickly.

Do I think they've been demoed? Of course they have. I didn't say they've recorded them for release yet. Don't be daft by suggesting these songs have been quickly cobbled together because they're desperate to play something new in Russian of all places. They've just debuted 7 new songs live - no doubt they may mutate slightly in between now and when they record them properly, but they are obviously happy with them - regardless of whether not all of them make it onto the new album. And I seriously doubt they are "totally prepared" not to record a new album. I'd say it's more than bleeding obvious there's going to be a new album based on the fact that Brett has said he'd confident there will be on one, he's clearly abandoned touring BR..... oh, and that they've just played 7 new songs live.
Posted by: starstruck
Date: December 18, 2011 02:13PM
Yo Blair! Wrote:
> starstruck Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "you are a c*nt of a woman, you are my future
> > nightmare"??????
> > That my just be the speakers on my phone tho...
>
> you're listening to phone-recorded audio, through
> your own fucking phone?
>
> you have no right whatsoever to judge.

Erm excuse me one moment ian, but what part of that was judging?
It was a flippant comment on a missheard lyric.

And ill judge what the hell i like!

So far, im keen on everything ive heard to some degree.
Thought future nightmare sounded ace.
And i have since listend to it through REAL speakers!

* alone but not lonely *
seaScape-x- can be found at [www.facebook.com]
and
[www.reverbnation.com]
www.myspace.com/dayfifteen
Date: December 18, 2011 02:18PM
good boy.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:29PM
I don't see how playing seven songs equates to each song being considered a full success. They've done this in Russia, as I expected they would, as they are far enough away from the UK press to be able to do this without each new song being pounced on. They did the same thing with the Iceland Airwaves gig in 2000; trying out new material they opened with 'Oceans', and played 'You Belong to Me', 'Refugees', 'Lonely Girls' and 'Beautiful Loser'.

Not that the two eras can be compared directly, but just looking at the ratio of songs that actually made the album proper, only three of the five played in Iceland made the following studio album, and 'Oceans' was hidden. As far as I know when Brett sung these new songs in Iceland he didn't read the lyrics from a sheet of paper, suggesting that they were a lot further down the line than they are this time around.

I genuinely think, and hope, that they are just being completely open and trying new stuff out. Their attitude has changed, and the industry has changed a lot. I am sure they are more than prepared to shelve at least half of the new songs - based on their audience reaction, and at a wider stretch on how they are taken here, from clips.

They've said 500 times that they won't release anything that they are not happy with, so I think they are really trying to churn them out. I'd say they'll easily "throw away" more than they'll keep. They've got something to prove.
Posted by: victor79
Date: December 18, 2011 02:35PM
Apart from Sabotage, I feel that all those new songs suffer from the attempt to compete with the current indie scene, The Horrors, Interpol and all those bands Brett has mentioned over and over again during the promo duties for Black Rainbow.

It may be on the purpose of being relevant in the music world of today and get the favors of NME and others but I feel that once again they are aiming in the wrong direction. For two reasons:

1 - I think that the current indie bands has a far more limited scope than Suede or any major indie heavyweights prior to the new millennium has ever had. This is I feel due to the new music economy which leads new emerging bands to stress on a style over and over again to be clearly identified. This current Suede line-up has proved that he could embrace a range by far larger than those bands. Filmstar, Europe Is Our Playground, Another No-one, Savoir Faire, Everything Will Flow, Simon, Let Go,... all of these are very singular from one another but sound definitely Suede.

2 - If the purpose is to please the 20 something indie fans and refresh the fan base, it will not work. I'm not saying a 20 year old boy or girl can not fall in love with Suede, I hope some will with all my heart. But I fear the vast majority of the young indie fans will always go for the young music/fashion media darlings of the moment. I'm not saying either that they should target only the die hards who is now 38 and has been faithful since 1992. I just hope that they rise above of consideration of targeting apart from doing the best music possible for only music sake.

Take in mind these are just reflections and reactions I have from those youtube clips. It's not a definitive statement of any kind or a judgement on mere intent. Like all of us I'm waiting for the real deal.
Date: December 18, 2011 02:36PM
you might want to revisit the Airwaves setlist again, tool.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:40PM
Please enlighten me, set list master, and put it up here, thanks.
Posted by: awesome bunny
Date: December 18, 2011 02:42PM
I doubt suede need/want help from a few Russians and a handful of weirdos on a forum in deciding what songs to keep and which ones to lose.

Date: December 18, 2011 02:46PM
I beg to differ. It is a way of seeing an unbiased viewpoint outside of the band.
Posted by: headacheville
Date: December 18, 2011 02:47PM
mslucifer Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]

i take it this is cold war. it's quite good but i wish brett would lose the woah woah: richard's guitar deserves to be heard. incidentally, this is the only song i like so far.
Date: December 18, 2011 02:55PM
'Future Nightmare' is utterly awful. Any song with a lyric that goes "you are strung like a guitar" needs to be stopped.
Posted by: headacheville
Date: December 18, 2011 03:00PM
awesome bunny Wrote:
> I doubt suede need/want help from a few Russians
> and a handful of weirdos on a forum in deciding
> what songs to keep and which ones to lose.

then why did they play those songs? because they wrote them and are bored of playing old stuff?

according to didz, brett reads the forum and i'm sure he's interested to some degree in the opinions expressed on here.
Date: December 18, 2011 03:28PM
Yo Blair! Wrote:
> you might want to revisit the Airwaves setlist
> again, tool.

Who is that aimed at? 9 new songs previewed, 7 released on ANM, 1 released on a soundtrack and b-side - 1 abandoned and later recycled in the Tears (and from a time when there wasn't a handful of people at every gig who then upload clips for all to hear/see). There's nothing in Suede's past, apart form very early gigs, that points to anything to suggest they take works in progress (aside from lyrical changes) to the stage.
Posted by: awesome bunny
Date: December 18, 2011 03:34PM
headacheville Wrote:
> then why did they play those songs? because they
> wrote them and are bored of playing old stuff?
>
> according to didz, brett reads the forum and i'm
> sure he's interested to some degree in the
> opinions expressed on here.

To create a buzz, because they were keen on playing them live, as a treat, because they are getting tired of touring their greatest hits … the possibilities are endless. Do you honestly think they would showcase new songs they are not happy with/unsure about? The naivety is baffling.

Date: December 18, 2011 03:35PM
Well OK then, if they put the majority of these new songs on a record it would be shit. Is that better?

I expect that they will definitely have filmed this Russian gig for their own purposes to see how they went down. Sometimes you can't tell if a song works or not until it gets a live airing.

Still, I am keeping some faith. I wasn't thrilled with the way 'Crash About to Happen' sounded live compared to the studio version, and Brett said they didn't do 'I Count The Times' live as it didn't work. Another studio track which I utterly love.

They could, of course, have banned the use of phones at the gigs if they really wanted to, but it is pretty healthy for any band wanting to test new material to get feedback, good and bad. I don't think that Brett is so arrogant that he'd pursue something that most people thought was rubbish.

I remember when The Tears pulled 'The Ghost of You' out of the bag, saying that they had "no more songs" at a previous gig when they didn't play it. I am confident there is double this amount of new songs floating about, and it is also one to bare in mind that 'Trash' and 'Obsessions' are examples of songs that emerged during the recording sessions.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum.