Suede Logo
Threads:  Previous Next
Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away
Posted by: victor79
Date: May 30, 2013 07:34PM
So today I made my cousin discover Bloodsports. He used to like Suede a lot in the 90s but drifted away to completely different type of music in the 00s (mostly african music). Anyway he loved the new album and listen to it all day relinking with his past appreciation for Suede.

At the end of the day he told me he made his father, whom he is currently living with , listen to Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away. His father told him that the song reminded him of The Shadows. My cousin asked what I thought of that.

I told him that I had almost never heard a single notes from The Shadows. All I know is that they were the band backing Cliff Richard. But I told him that now that I think of it, this song does have a quality of an early 60s ballad, something in the vein of Crying by Roy Orbison. Now I can completely imagine Roy singing Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away.

Any thoughts on that?
Re: Sometimes I Feel I'll Float Away
Date: May 30, 2013 07:45PM
Or...now you come to mention it...Johnny Cash?

A
Posted by: thinwhitejake
Date: May 30, 2013 07:45PM
I'm a big fan of Roy Orbison and I can see what you're getting at.

It would be hugely different in terms of tempo and instrumentation, but I can hear him singing it.

If you haven't watched A Black And White Night yet with Roy and tons of guest stars you should have a look, it's fucking cool.

Fuck off Westminster, we'll do this right another day.
Imperialist tory fucks. See you in 2020 you bastards.
Date: May 30, 2013 07:47PM
PS, the Shadows are fucking terrible.

Date: May 30, 2013 07:50PM
Ok thanks for the notice. On both Roy and The Shadows.
Date: May 30, 2013 07:52PM
thinwhitejake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It would be hugely different in terms of tempo and
> instrumentation, but I can hear him singing it.

And yes I completely agree about the tempo and the instrumentation.
Date: May 30, 2013 07:53PM
onehellofaretard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or...now you come to mention it...Johnny Cash?
>
> A

Maybe, as we speak, Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison are in heaven fighting over a karaoke mic.

Posted by: T-B-O-T-S
Date: May 31, 2013 02:33AM
I think part of the reason it brings up 1960s music is the John Barry vibe to it as well. You can certainly imagine Roy Orbison singing the verses especially - I suppose it is just an example of what a 'classic' sounding song this is, without being too Richard Hawley... it hints at these things rather than sounding like a pastiche.
Posted by: Gerry
Date: June 04, 2013 09:04AM
Sounds more like OKC era Radiohead - only with a great singer - than some 60s number to me.
Posted by: Hesnotdead
Date: June 15, 2013 07:36PM
The song really grew on me. The album in general is Richard's best work from a critical point of view IMO and this is a prime example. Listening to Wilderness, Slow Attack, Black Rainbows and Become the One You Love, I was optimistic for a decent new-old suede record. Bloodsports sounds perhaps more suede like than Coming Up, rather than a new band post-Butler, like the same band with a couple of new members. This is a prime example and it's brilliant.
Date: June 17, 2013 05:00PM
Had an oppurtunity to float to an archipelago on March. High sun, lot of ice, a lighthouse, silence, the sea. A week before I met someone very precious to me, he was moving to Canada and took a flight to see me on the road. Ok. He's gone. I'll go to an island a kind of long way too.
At exactly the same time one of my fav bands ever in this life put out this song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum.